JONAH SCHENKER, Ed.D. is currently serving as the District Superintendent of Ulster BOCES.
Following are some of the responsibilities of all 37 District Superintendents in the State of New York as established by the Legislature and the Commissioner of Education to provide effective leadership and efficiency for participating districts and serve as local contacts for the State Education Department.
- Facilitate communication and cooperation between districts, the State Education Department, and other public and private agencies.
- Interpret and clarify Education Law, Commissioner’s Regulations, and other policies affecting education in this region.
- Serve as the regional contact point for State initiatives, such as the Learning Standards, Building Capacity, and New York State and Federal Assessment initiatives.
- Assist in developing educational policy while working closely with area legislators on behalf of public education.
- Report to the Commissioner and work closely with the Senior Deputy Commissioner for P-16, as well as VESID.
- Conduct Registration Reviews (School In Need of Improvement for districts needing improvement) in New York State, within the BOCES supervisory area, as well as for those schools identified as requiring improvement (SINI).
- Assist with reorganization studies in participating districts and coordinate related efficiency grants.
- Conduct searches to fill vacant superintendencies in local districts.
- Investigate, hear, and decide upon boundary line disputes between districts.
- Provide advice and counsel to local Boards of Education and in-service education for local superintendents.
- Take cases on appeal and report testimony to the Commissioner, as directed.
- Hold teacher conferences and counsel teachers in matters such as discipline and school management.
- Act on behalf of other District Superintendents.
- Approve BOCES service contracts and cross contracts.
- Investigate testing irregularities, as assigned by the Commissioner.
- Assume the duties of an Interim District Superintendent of another BOCES when assigned by the Commissioner of Education.
Jonah Schenker, Ed.D.
175 Route 32 North
New Paltz, NY 12561