Parents Bill of Rights
Parents Bill of Rights - Data Privacy & Security
Ulster BOCES is committed to protecting the privacy and security of student, teacher, and principal data. In accordance with New York Education Law §2-d, Ulster BOCES wishes to inform the community of the following:
1. A student’s personally identifiable information cannot be sold or released for any marketing or commercial purposes.
2. Parents have the right to inspect and review the complete contents of their child’s education record.
3. State and federal laws protect the confidentiality of personally identifiable information, and safeguards associated with industry standards and best practices, including but not limited to, encryption, firewalls, and password protection, must be in place when data is stored or transferred.
4. A complete list of all student data elements collected by the State is available for public review here, or by writing to the Office of Information & Reporting Services, New York State Education Department, Room 863 EBA, 89 Washington Avenue, Albany, New York 12234.
5. Parents have the right to have complaints about possible breaches of student data addressed. Complaints should be directed in writing to:
175 Route 32 North
New Paltz, New York 12561
Chief Privacy Officer
New York State Education Department
89 Washington Avenue
Albany, New York 12234
Complaints may also be directed to the
Chief Privacy Officer (CPO) via email at
6. The District Superintendent shall develop regulations to ensure compliance with all state and federal laws and regulations regarding the protection and security of student data and teacher or principal data.
Supplemental Information Regarding Third Party Contractors
In the course of complying with its obligations under the law and providing educational services, Ulster BOCES has entered into agreements with certain third-party contractors. Pursuant to such agreements, thirdparty contractors may have access to “student data” and/or “teacher or principal data,” as those terms are defined by law.
Each contract Ulster BOCES enters into with a third party contractor where the third party contractor receives student data or teacher or principal data will include the following information:
1. The exclusive purposes for which the student data or teacher or principal data will be used by third party contractor;
2. How the third party contractor will ensure that the subcontractors, persons or entities with whom the third party contractor will disclose the student data or teacher or principal data with, if any, will abide by data protection and security requirements;
3. The duration of the contract, including when the agreement expires and what happens to the student data or teacher or principal data upon expiration of the agreement;
4. If and how a parent, student, eligible student, teacher or principal may challenge the accuracy of the student data or teacher or principal data that is collected;
5. Where the student data or teacher or principal data will be stored (described in such a manner as to protect data security), and the security protections taken to ensure such data will be protected and data security and privacy risks mitigated.
6. Address how the data will be protected using encryption while in motion and at rest.