Saugerties Superintendent Search
May 16, 2023
To be given full consideration, all application materials should be on file by the initial deadline of May 16, although we will accept applications until a candidate is found. Dr. Schenker and the Saugerties Board of Education will begin to review application folders upon receipt.
June 13, 2023
Anticipated start of interviewing.
July 1-11, 2023
Final interviews are anticipated.
July 12, 2023
The Board hopes to offer the successful candidate the position by July 12, with the hope they can assume duties within 60 days of appointment.
SCSD is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Please do not contact members of the Saugerties Central School District Board of Education or its administrators for information. All inquiries should be directed via email to Dr. Jonah Schenker. Please use Saugerties Search in the subject field.
Letters of interest, résumés, completed application forms, and professional credentials should be submitted online via this portal.
All communications will be handled through the Office of the Ulster BOCES District Superintendent. Following the initial screening, selected candidates will be invited to meet with the Saugerties Central School District Board of Education. Visitations to home districts of the final candidate(s) may be conducted to gather further information on performance, working relationships, and leadership style.
The Board of Education of the Saugerties Central School District is pleased to invite candidates to submit applications for the position of Superintendent of Schools.
The Saugerties Board is being assisted in the search process by Dr. Jonah M. Schenker, District Superintendent of Ulster BOCES, the Sole Supervisory District of Ulster County. The Board will make all decisions concerning the selection process, the evaluation of candidates, and the final appointment.
College and university placement offices, state and national officials, and practicing Superintendents of Schools are invited to nominate qualified candidates for this position. Qualified individuals are encouraged to submit a letter of interest, an application form, and their professional credentials.
A competitive contract and salary, based on the experience and credentials of the successful candidate, will be negotiated.
THIS IS A CONFIDENTIAL SEARCH PROCESS.
The Board of Education is seeking an enthusiastic, knowledgeable, and experienced educational leader who is committed to maintaining and encouraging a climate of excellence for students, faculty, and the community. Among the exemplary personal and professional qualities the candidate should possess are the following:
- Educational leadership, vision for the future, the ability to think inventively, and commitment to the continuous development and implementation of well-planned and evaluated academic programs.
- Demonstrated management ability.
- Skilled in the application of financial procedures, education law, school management operations and planning procedures, negotiations, educational technology, and capital projects.
- Strong human relations and leadership skills to interact effectively with students, school staff, Board members, community members, and the media.
- Strong effective communication and presentation skills.
- Commitment to be a public advocate for the children of the District.
- Knowledge of, and active involvement in, evaluating procedures, including staff development, staff evaluation, curriculum development, and all discipline areas.
- Problem-solving skills in both individual and group settings.
- Desire to become an integral part of the Saugerties community, including having a highly visible profile and becoming an active participant in community-related groups and activities. Residence in the surrounding area is encouraged.
- Active involvement in the total educational program, recognizing the unique school-community relationship that exists in a community such as Saugerties.
- Ability to implement the Next Generation Learning Standards, as well as innovative programs and curricula for a diverse approach to learning.
- Hold or be eligible for New York State School District Administrator certification.
- Minimum of three years’ experience as a Central Office Administrator (Superintendent experience is preferred).