Ulster BOCES Superintendent Search
An Invitation to Apply
Ulster BOCES IS SEEKING A DISTRICT SUPERINTENDENT OF SCHOOLS
The Ulster BOCES Board of Education is seeking an exceptional, experienced, visionary educational leader with a proven record of administrative accomplishments to serve as the Chief Executive Officer/Superintendent of Ulster BOCES and the District Superintendent of the Sole Supervisory District of Ulster County. The District Superintendent serves as the New York State Commissioner of Education’s representative to the region. The District Superintendent is responsible for both the BOCES and its component district and leads and oversees the multitude of BOCES programs offered to the eight component districts.
The Ulster BOCES board is looking for a candidate with the ability to…
- Create, lead, manage, and direct with vision a complex array of programs and services offered by the BOCES for the component district.
- Foster a collaborative environment within the BOCES and with the eight component districts.
- Build on an existing highly successful organization.
- Create short- and long-term financial strategies to make the best use of resources.
- Communicate effectively in written and spoken language.
- Counsel and advise Boards of Education and area superintendents on issues of law, regulation, policy, and educational programs.
- Listen actively to the needs of those within the educational and county communities.
- Respect the needs, as well as the contributions, of all of the individuals who serve or are served by Ulster BOCES.
- Use ingenuity and imagination to create ideas and solutions to the challenges of the region.
In addition, the successful candidate should have …
- Demonstrated leadership experience and organizational skills with a proven track record of success in improving outcomes for students and staff.
- Experience with school financial management.
- Experience with Capital Projects.
- Experience in leading diverse personalities throughout all sectors of the educational and county communities.
- An approachable, flexible, self-confident personality.
- The ability to delegate—yet maintain control and knowledge of—various initiatives.
- A willingness to become part of Ulster County’s community.
The successful candidate must hold or be eligible for New York State School District Administrator certification, and must reside in or be willing to relocate to New York State.
CONTRACT AND SALARY INFORMATION
A District Superintendent is considered a Management/Confidential employee of the State of New York. All salary and benefits for this position are outlined in statute and regulations and are subject to review by the Office of Counsel at the New York State Education Department (NYSED). The initial contract, as permitted by NYSED, would be for three years. The maximum salary permitted under the law is up to $208,250 in total, $43,499 of which is paid for by New York State. The balance of the salary to be paid beyond the state share is determined by the local BOCES and is based on qualifications and experience.
Past teaching, building-level administration, and district-level senior administrative experience are desired.
Applications will be accepted from December 21, 2022 through January 25, 2023.*
*Priority will be given to applications received by January 25, however, they will be accepted until the position is filled.
THIS IS A CONFIDENTIAL SEARCH PROCESS
As a result, the names of all candidates will only be known by the consultant and members of the Ulster BOCES Board of Education. Only the successful candidate will be named publicly and only after a signed contract between the parties is completed.
The consultant will coordinate the task of screening applicants and recommending a group of potential semi-finalists to the board. Candidates must not contact board members directly. The Ulster BOCES Board of Education will make all decisions concerning the selection process, the evaluation of candidates, and the recommendation of the final candidate to the Commissioner of Education for approval.
Get to Know Us
Join us on our journey to foster a learning environment that ensures all learners will be able to develop their unique self and their capacity, and contribute to community through continuous cycles of inquiry. We are guided by these principles, known as our North Star Educational Commitments.
January 25, 2023
by 3 PM
To be given full consideration, all application materials should be on file by the initial deadline of January 25 by 3 PM. The search consultant and the Ulster BOCES Board of Education will begin to review application folders upon receipt. (Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.)
The first round of interviews are scheduled to begin. This is a closed search, so interviews will be conducted by Board members only.
The Board will conduct final interviews with the finalists.
Mid to End of March
The Board hopes to offer the successful candidate the position by March 22, with negotiations to be complete by April 25 for a July 1, 2023 appointment.
July 1, 2023
The selected candidate begins service as the new District Superintendent.
Ulster BOCES is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and believes that it enriches the learning experience.
Please do not contact members of the Ulster BOCES Board of Education or its administrators for information. All inquiries should be directed via email to the search consultant. Please use District Superintendent Search in the subject field.
Candidates should submit the following credentials online via the Applitrack portal:
- Letter of interest
- Completed application
- Academic transcripts
- Copies of administrative certificate(s)
- List a minimum of three professional references
All communications will be handled through the search consultant. Following the initial screening, selected candidates will be invited to meet with the Ulster BOCES Board of Education.