Parent/Caregiver Communication from Dr. Khoury: September 11, 2020
September 11, 2020
Dear Parents and Caregivers:
We are just one week away from welcoming students back into our school buildings. The first group, all first-year students at CTE, HVPA, and Phoenix Academy and approximately 50% of our Special Education students, will be returning to our various campuses on Monday, September 21st. All remaining students will continue with remote instruction for the week of September 21st, before their return to our campuses during the week of September 28th.
In preparation for students returning to campus there are a few points that I want to emphasize.
- No student should come to school at any time if they are experiencing any of the signs or symptoms of the COVID-19 virus.
- Every student will have their temperature taken using our infrared camera system as they enter the building. Anyone with a temperature of 100.0 or higher will, after verification by our school nurse, be isolated and parents/caregivers will be called to pick them up with directions to seek out your physician or the Ulster County Department of Health.
- Appropriate face coverings are always required whenever on campus, except when eating or during scheduled “mask breaks”. If a student does not have a face covering one will be provided by us.
- If a student is medically unable to wear a face covering you must submit a note signed by your personal care physician, identifying the specific medical reason(s) that the student is unable to wear a mask, and what accommodations would be acceptable (such as more frequent breaks, or face shields etc.) to our school nurse, before the first day of attendance. Approved students may be required to receive their in-person instruction while isolated from other mask wearing students and staff.
- All students (or their parents on their behalf) will be required to respond to a brief series of screening questions daily. We have a website application to collect student responses and email and text reminders to complete the questionnaire will be sent out regularly by each building’s administration. Directions are attached to this letter. Instructions for Accessing & Using the Ulster BOCES Screening App
I have included an informative pamphlet issued by the NYS Academy of Pediatricians regarding the use of face coverings with children for your information and use. Pediatricians Answer Top 10 Questions Regarding Masks in Children
Charles V. Khoury, Ed.D.