Model Schools [Base Service]
Model Schools provides guidance and support to districts for the integration of technology to transform the learning environment and prepare students for the future.
Model Schools develops and conducts professional learning opportunities that support the effective integration of instructional technology in the classroom to benefit student learning. Through these opportunities, educators build on their knowledge and share best practices with others around the region. Professional learning opportunities are delivered in-person as well as via webinars and online courses. In addition, this service seeks funding for 21st Century learning initiatives; provides updates, guidance, and training on SED’s initiatives and innovations; and assists with implementation and evaluation of emerging technology. Model Schools and Educational Technology partner to provide expertise in technology planning. Technology Plan facilitation and development, as well as Technology Appraisals are available for an additional cost.
The Model Schools program enables school districts to define their paths toward instructional technology integration by providing:
- Three (3) days of customized, in-district professional development (per district)
- Access to Model Schools Professional Development offerings
- Access to Technology-To-Go lending program
Participation in the Model Schools Co-Ser is required by SED to participate in the Educational Technology Base Service Co-Ser 525. These two services work collaboratively to provide technology guidance and support for your district.
Technology integration [Extension]
Through this service, a Technology Integration Specialist provides support for in-district needs. Districts request the amount of time, level of support, and the desired targeted purposes. Content Specialists can provide coaching, small or large group professional learning, and co-teaching. Instructional Specialists can provide administrative-level support that may include district-level technology planning, needs assessment, coaching, small or large group professional learning, and co-teaching. Participation in Model Schools Base Service is required.
Co-Ser 415.000 (formerly 535.002)
This extension provides access to and support of virtual and remote learning opportunities, including online and blended courses, distance learning classes, virtual field trips, and videoconferencing. Specialists will work with your district to customize virtual opportunities to meet your district’s instructional needs.
This service provides:
- Access to a Learning Management System (Moodle), including a selection of fully developed online courses.
- Access to hundreds of web-based live stream field trips.
- Zoom licensing to support cloud-based video and web conferencing.
- Access to negotiated statewide Distance Learning contracts.
- Learning Management System (LMS) offerings such as Schoology, It’s Learning, and Canvas (additional per student cost).
- Online course content from APEX or Edgenuity (additional per student cost).
- One day of training to support purchases.
- Option to purchase distance-learning classes (related hardware may be purchased through Co-Ser 525).
- Fully online or blended courses facilitated by NYS certified teachers (Advanced Placement, Credit Recovery, Electives, Initial Credit) at an additional per-seat cost, which includes:
- Frequent communication with guidance counselors and/or principals to monitor student progress.
- NYS certified teacher of record.
- Rolling admissions.
- New technologies and learning methodologies that are researched and evaluated.
- Access to statewide information provided through the New York State Distance Learning Consortium.
Districts must be part of the Educational Technology Virtual Learning Technical Support Extension (Co-Ser 525.015) to participate.
Supervisor of Educational Technology
phone: 845.255.1402 x1340