How Can I Get Help to Pay for My Education?
1. APPLY FOR FEDERAL GRANTS
- Federal Pell grants (based on financial need and do not have to be repaid).
- Apply by completing a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).
- The Ulster BOCES School Code for the FAFSA is 014773.
2. APPLY FOR FEDERAL DIRECT STUDENT LOANS
- Federal Direct Subsidized loans (based on financial need and must be repaid with interest).
- Federal Direct Unsubsidized loans (not based on financial need and must be repaid with interest).
- Federal Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized student loans are not based on credit.
- The Federal Direct loan interest rate for 2018-19 is 5.05 percent, the 2019-20 rate has not yet been released.
- Repayment begins six months after program completion or dropping below half-time enrollment.
- Apply for Federal Direct Loans here.
- Complete required Federal Direct loan Entrance Counseling here.
- You will receive notice of loan approval after the school certifies your loan.
3. APPLY FOR A FEDERAL DIRECT PLUS LOAN FOR PARENTS – FOR PARENTS OF DEPENDENT STUDENTS
- Federal PLUS loans for parents are credit-based.
- Parents may borrow PLUS loans up to the student’s Cost of Attendance minus any financial aid received.
- The Federal Direct PLUS loan for parents interest rate for 2018-19 is 7.6 percent, the 2019-20 rate has not yet been released.
- Repayment options: begin repayment during school OR six months after student completion.
- Apply for a Federal PLUS loan for parents here.
4 EMPLOYED BY A HEALTH CARE AGENCY/FACILITY?
Check with the Human Resource Department to see if there is funding available.
5 UNEMPLOYED OR UNDER-EMPLOYED?
Check with your local Department of Labor to see if you qualify and if there is funding available.
6. HAVE A DISABILITY?
Check with your local ACCES-VR Office to see if you qualify and if there is funding available.
7. VETERANS ADMINISTRATION (VA) BENEFITS
Ulster BOCES Practical Nursing & Surgical Technology programs are both VA-approved programs. Learn more here.
8 INTEREST FREE PAYMENT PLANS THROUGH ULSTER BOCES
Available to all students desiring to self-pay.